Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Spoilers and Other Miscellaneous Information

As River Song would say, "Spoilers, Sweetie." I said in my last post that I'd be writing more about what I'd been spoiled about for the Third Doctor's era, so here it goes.

I've seen:

  • Spearhead from Space
  • Inferno
  • Planet of the Spiders

I've partially seen:

  • Terror of the Autons
  • The Daemons

The most important things I know about this era may be wrong, but here they are:

  • Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart runs UNIT, the United Nations Intelligence Task Force (you know, that doesn't actually spell out UNIT. Why don't they call it UNIT force?) 
  • Liz Shaw, Jo Grant, and Sarah Jane Smith are the Doctor's companions (possibly called assistants?) during this time.
  • The Master, played by Roger Delgado, makes his first appearance during this time. This is a big reason why I'm doing this. I keep hearing that Delgado is the best Master, but I've never been able to get through one of his episodes. Sadly, I actually like not only John Simm and Derek Jacobi as the Master, but also Eric Roberts. So the original should be great too. 
  • The Third Doctor is good at some sort of martial arts style that I won't try to spell, because I'll probably embarrass myself. 

And some things I'm wondering about:

  • After The Three Doctors, what does the Doctor do? Obviously he doesn't leave UNIT, but why does he stay if he wanted to get away so badly?
  • Do the Time Lords make any other appearances other than in The Three Doctors? (Big Time Lord fan here, so I'm always on the look-out for more of them)
  • I really just want to see Jon Pertwee facing off against the Daleks.
  • The Master. Everything about him. Why does everyone say Delgado is the best?


A word of warning:

I'm a NuWho fan. I know that can be seen as heresy in some parts of the Doctor Who fandom, but frankly, I'm not old enough to have watched any of the Classic Series, so I started with NuWho. This does not mean that I do not like other eras of the show. This means that my opinions, I will be slightly skewed towards the new series. No statement I make is an absolute judgement of the quality of the show at any particular time; it is simply a preference, an opinion.

That being said, I have seen, and like, quite a bit of the Classic Series. Tom Baker is my favorite of the Classic Doctors, followed by Sylvester McCoy, and then Colin Baker. My favorite season of Classic Who is Trial of a Time Lord (23). My favorite serial is Remembrance of the Daleks.


And now down to business. Next time, Spearhead from Space, Episode 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment