Thursday, January 16, 2014

Spearhead from Space

Yeah, the parts thing wasn't really working out for me. Especially since I'd already seen Spearhead from Space. So from now on, I'm doing one post per serial, but I'll focus on individual bits of each episode, and still give my cliffhanger predictions.

Some final thoughts on it, though:

This story is awesome. I love it, love it, love it.

No, not this John Smith. Not even
remotely human.
I'm not sure exactly how wonderful the ending is, they come up with some scientific gadget that saves the day, but then again, I'm used to the slightly more thematic (and maybe slightly less sensical and practical) endings of NuWho. And it's not like antiplastic in Rose was much better. And for some reason, I love that it ends with the Doctor telling the Brigadier that his name is Doctor John Smith. I can't really figure out what it's supposed to symbolize, but it's so enigmatic that I love it.

Liz Shaw seems like she's gonna be great. She's a little cold and logical, but I'm sure her encounter with aliens has changed that somewhat, and she and the Doctor just get along great. People say that the Doctor never had smart or fully developed companions in Classic Who--this doesn't seem to be the case with Liz. She's certainly very intelligent--a scientist, and she reminds just about everyone--and doesn't just take everything she hears at face value.


Three also looks promising. I certainly enjoy his squirrelness, though I'm not sure that's going to stick around post-Post Regeneration Trauma. I'm still not too sure about the stuck on earth format of the show, but Pertwee shows promise. And that scene with the Doctor not being able to dematerialize the TARDIS is wonderful. He looks so embarrassed when he pops his head back out. "Just checking." Stupid Time Lords.



Side Note: Parallels 

Destroy Jackie Tyler. Total Destruction.
The shop window dummies. A thousand times over the shop window dummies. Except for done with 1970s special effects and budget, and no Jackie Tyler screaming, it's literally the exact same scene.

And as I mentioned above, antiplastic. The Doctor basically makes a more technological and complicated version of an antiplastic device to defeat the Nestene Consciousness. I have to say, though, the few plastic strands here looked much better as a giant blob of molten plastic in 2005. The Time War evolved this thing majorly. Then again, the moving strands of plastic were somewhat creepy and decidedly alien.

Closing

If the goodness of Spearhead from Space keeps up, this era is going to be wonderful. I'm onto The Silurians. Or is it Doctor Who and the Silurians? Clearly someone didn't know that Doctor Who is the oldest question in the universe hidden in plain sight, not the guy's name. The answer is the guy's name. Then again, I guess they didn't have Time Lords shouting it through cracks in the universe back then, did they? Or cracks in the universe at all. Or any oldest question. Or Steven Moffat (can we send him back in the TARDIS so he can write for all eras of Doctor Who? No?).

So other than a serious lack of cracks in the universe, Steven Moffat time traveling (how screwed would the universe be?), and clear title, I'm excited for Doctor Who and the Silurians. Or The Silurians. 


Source: http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/steven-moffat-tumblr-fandom-sherlock/

No comments:

Post a Comment