Thursday, February 13, 2014

Season 8 Preview

Well, I'm on the last serial of Season 8 right now, and I think I've got my new topic for this season.

Time Lords. Each story in this season, rather than focusing on how humans mess things up, deals with the implications of Time Lord(s) meddling in history. I'm referring, of course, to the schemes of the Master.

A Little Preview for Each:

TERROR OF THE AUTONS

Meet the Master. Renegade Time Lord, the Doctor's ex-boyfriend, hypnotic, and the only one with a working TARDIS.

Focuses: History of the Doctor and Master, the Time Lords' effect on the plot

MIND OF EVIL

Well, there's a reason the Doctor/Master ship exists. Also, many parallels with NuWho. And anyone else find that machine really cool and scary?

Focuses: Me gushing over how this is my favorite Pertwee-Era episode, Worst Fears, the Doctor/Master relationship.

CLAWS OF AXOS

Aliens who have BAFTA faces. The Master's first JOIN ME speech. The danger of human greed subverted. Stunningly bad American accents.

Focuses: The beginning of Jo's anti-usefulness, Time Lord relationship with earth (contrasting the Doctor and the Master) and the Master's join-me's throughout Season 8.

COLONY IN SPACE

Time Lords. Superweapons that aren't as awesome as the Moment. Higher species. Crony capitalism like around 1900, but IN SPACE. People-colonizing-other-planets-but-don't-even-have-smartphones-to-take-pictures-for-evidence.

Focuses: In-depth analysis of the Doctor and Master's TARDISes, Time Lords and higher beings in relation to morality level as wells, ruling the universe for good and the Time Lord non-intervention policy, superweapons of the Whoniverse, the dated-ness of sci-fi, I could write a whole series of posts on this one.


THE DAEMONS

Well, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment